About the Matching Sponsor Program
Matching Sponsor is a program created by ICWB chair and organizer Kaori Sasaki immediately after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami disaster, to provide not only funds and supplies to those affected by the disaster, but also "encounters, learning, and experiences". Individuals with a desire to support the disaster victims were invited to sit next to them, meet, talk, and connect with them free of charge as Matching Sponsors. It was highly successful and warmly received by both the Sponsors and Sponsees. Sometimes the supported survivor would return the following year as a Sponsor to support others. However, after the program stopped receiving applications from the affected areas, it became a program to support ordinary high school and college students from all over the country. This program mainly involves working adults acting as "Matching Sponsors" to make it possible for one (or more) students other than only themselves to participate. Students who wish to participate with Sponsor support write an essay and express their willingness to participate. The secretariat will match the students to the Sponsor.
The Conference will be held online, but there will be a time for the Matching Sponsors and Sponsees (students) to meet and greet each other online about a week before the Conference, and another opportunity for all Sponsors and Sponsees to meet online again about a week after the Conference ends. Students are also required to write reports about the Conference and participate in these pre- and post-online meetings.
As a benefit for Matching Sponsors, they will also be invited to a separate post-conference event with only the lecturers and partners. If you are interested in supporting high school or college students who are looking to learn, please apply as a Matching Sponsor.
One Sponsor can support one or more students.
The participation fee covers the cost of attending all the programs on the day of the Conference, as follows
Matching Sponsor Participation Fee
Matching Sponsor + 1 student you support
Matching Sponsor + 2 students you support
Sponsor Application Deadline
Registration has been closed
Sponsee (student) Application Deadline
June 30, 11:00 a.m.
- Matching Sponsors will be matched to those who will receive support (Sponsees) by the secretariat.
- We will be taking photos and conducting interviews online.
- Interviews are required, but if you are unable to have your photo taken, please let us know on the application form.
- After submitting your application form, you will receive an email confirming the details of your application.
- Please read the confirmation email carefully, as it will contain details such as the bank transfer address and due date. (NO mobile phone email addresses or hotmail addresses please.)
- Your application will be considered official once we have received your payment.
Registration has been closed